Thursday, March 19, 2015

Christopher Nolan is all that, but not a bag of chips.

If you would have asked me who my favorite director is before I saw Interstellar, I would have told you it was Christopher Nolan.  His Dark Knight trilogy, Inception... fantastic films.  He has a real knack for storytelling and writes scripts that aren't just meant to entertain, they force you to pay attention and to think.  I consider Inception my favorite all-time film because every aspect of production was so phenomenally executed, from the screenplay to the sound editing.  I'll argue vehemently with anyone who feels otherwise.
However, I feel that Nolan was trying a little too hard with Interstellar.  It's a great film, but I simply wasn't blown away as I usually am with most Nolan films.  I feel like it tried too hard to be scientifically accurate while still punching your feels in the jaw, but it didn't quite work.  You disappointed me a little bit, Chris.  You're not a perfect filmmaker, despite what you may think.



I love Jared Hess films for the exact opposite reasons.  Hess is the awkward artistic vigilante behind comedies like Napoleon Dynamite and Nacho Libre.  It's obvious that Hess doesn't take himself too seriously with the brand of films that he puts out.  They're hilarious, quotable, and involve awkward symmetrical shots and zoom lenses.  Not to mention he has an affinity for creating likable and dorky protagonists.  I think a lot of directors would do well to take a leaf from Jared Hess' book.  Yeah, it's great to have our artistic, norm-challenging films raking in Oscars every year... but come on.  Don't take yourself so seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment